Sunday, February 20, 2011

UP Fair, and Goodbye Sugarfree

Last February 18, along with friends from undergrad we went to the annual UP Fair held at Sunken Garden. It was an impromptu meet-up and considering that it featured the last performance of Sugarfree (yes, they are disbanding) I thought we wouldn't be able to get tickets. Surprisingly unlike the last time I went (three years ago), the crowd has not yet thickened at 6PM and we were able to get tickets without a hassle. Come 8PM when some of my working friends arrived, the line reached Vinzon's hall. Close to ten pm when the good bands such as 6 Cycle mind and Imago have started to play, people are already waiting around in front of Law building.

At first the crowd was quiet. A young band (the singer looked like 17 years old) even said the people were like inside a library although I'd rather attribute it to their boring songs, it seems that in general people went to the fair for one reason alone - that was to see Sugarfree perform in the UP Fair for the last time.

Before coming to UP, I did not know any pinoy band except for Eraserheads. I first learned of Sugarfree when my classmate was so excited about our new professor for Polsci 160 because he was the bassist of the band; I'm like what's that? Pretty soon some of my classmates were bringing CD's of their friends to school and would ask Sir Jal to sign them just before classes start. I think in our finals for that subject he gave out 5 points for those who watched their benefit concert for UP Manila which cost P250 pesos (you got a concert ticket + Dramachine CD). Soon enough my classmates fandom mania rubbed off on me and I religiously went to UP fair nights when they are playing long after the classes ended.

Last Friday they played the songs which had cemented their fame into Pinoy music consciousness:

1. Prom

2. Mariposa
3. Overdrive (yes, by Eraserheads)
4. Burnout
5. Hari ng Sablay
6. Tulog Na



Ebe as you can see here is already thinner with longer hair. I think most of the fraternities maxed out their backstage passes as students milled around the singer on stage lol .

Some of those who went were moved to tears when the band was saying good bye. If only it were possible, I wished that they did not disband. I would have still listened to them even if they reached the age of Rico Puno. Their last 45 minutes of airtime was not enough.

</3

2 comments:

  1. so sad when groups get disbanded. sayang kasi. I wonder why they do that. Pwede naman uli magkita kita tapos mag perform uli eh. Me too sis, medyo Rivermaya and Eraserheads lang talaga alam kong band... oh Parokya rin pala :)

    following sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's such a shame that groups are disbanding now. :( Sugarfree is one of the few bands that I know of and its sad to see that they won't be making good music anymore. At least you got the chance to see their final performance sis. :)

    ReplyDelete